Choose the Best Compact Gaming Keyboard
Customer’s Choice: the Best Rated Compact Gaming Keyboards
5 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Gaming keyboards come in all shapes and sizes, but not all of them are great for gaming. Some are too big, some are too small, and some just don’t have the features that gamers need. In this blog post, we will be discussing the best compact gaming keyboards on the market. We will also be giving you a few tips on how to choose the right keyboard for your needs. So if you’re looking for a keyboard that is compact and built for gaming, then keep reading!
Razer BlackWidow TE Chroma v2 TKL
Featuring Orange switches, this keyboard provides tactile feedback with a quieter click, while still being able to register keystrokes with speed and accuracy. The tenkeyless design also makes it more portable for gamers on the go. And with Razer Chroma backlighting, you can fully customize the look of your keyboard to match your gaming setup. Plus, with fully programmable macro support, you can bind complex commands to a single keypress. The ergonomic wrist rest ensures maximum comfort during extended gaming sessions. And because durability is important, this keyboard is built to last with tough construction. So get this keyboard today and enjoy the ultimate gaming experience.
SteelSeries Apex Pro TKL Mechanical Keyboard
This means you can tailor the keyboard to your exact gaming needs. The Apex Pro TKL also features an OLED smart display that functions as an integrated command center. This allows you to adjust settings and track info on the fly straight from your game, Discord, Spotify, and many more. Plus, the aircraft-grade aluminum alloy construction provides a lifetime of durability and stability. And with 16.8 million colors per key, the RGB illumination lets you customize your keyboard to match your style perfectly. Plus, the included premium magnetic wrist rest provides full palm support and a comfortable, ergonomic feel. So if you’re looking for the ultimate gaming keyboard, look no further than the Apex Pro TKL!
Corsair K65 LUX RGB Mechanical Keyboard
The 100 percent Cherry MX RGB red key switches provide fast, precise key presses, while the Cue support enables advanced macro and lighting programming for virtually unlimited game customization. The HID Keyboard Report Rate of 1000Hz ensures responsive and lag-free gaming.
Logitech Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
The Logi gaming keyboards have been created with input from professional ESports athletes and come equipped with durable Romer G switches, which make each keypress nearly instantaneous so you can react more quickly on screen! They’re also ultra-portable; sleekly compact enough that it’ll fit easily into your travel bag or backpack without taking too much space away from other essentials like food items – making this type of equipment easy to pack AND transport wherever there may be tournaments happening around town (or country).
Fnatic miniSTREAK RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Plus, its tenkeyless design is perfect for traveling gamers who don’t want to sacrifice style or functionality. And with the free OP software, you can customize your lighting and keys to create a truly unique gaming experience. So if you’re serious about taking your gaming to the next level, pick up a Fnatic miniSTREAK today.
Difference between simple and gaming keyboards
Before we start talking about the best gaming keyboards, we need to first understand the difference between a regular keyboard and a gaming keyboard. A regular keyboard is designed for general use, while a gaming keyboard is designed specifically for gamers.
There are several key differences between these two types of keyboards:
- Gaming keyboards have more keys, which gives you more options for in-game control. This is especially important in fast-paced games where you need to be able to perform multiple actions at once.
- Gaming keyboards have special keys that can be programmed to perform specific actions. This can be extremely helpful in games where you need to perform a lot of different actions quickly.
- Gaming keyboards have more customizable features, such as programmable keys and backlighting. This allows you to tailor the keyboard to your specific gaming needs.
- Gaming keyboards are built to withstand heavy use, with higher quality materials and construction. This ensures that your keyboard will last for many years, even with intense use.
- Most gaming keyboards also come with a wrist rest, which can help to reduce fatigue during long gaming sessions. Such rests are not typically found on regular keyboards.
- RGB backlighting is another common feature on gaming keyboards, which can add a lot of style and personality to your setup. There are even some keyboards with customizable RGB lighting, so you can really make your keyboard unique.
- Gaming keyboards usually cost more than regular keyboards, but they are worth the investment if you are serious about gaming. High prices can range from $100 to even $1000, but you can also find some great gaming keyboards for less than $50.
- Response time of the keys is also an important factor. When you press a button on a gaming keyboard, you want it to register as quickly as possible. This is important in fast-paced games where every millisecond counts.
- Colors and design of gaming keyboards also play a role in choosing the best one for you. Some people prefer simple and understated designs, while others want their keyboard to be a flashy and attention-grabbing part of their setup.
- Mechanical switches are usually considered to be the best for gaming keyboards, as they offer the quickest response time. Usual keyboards have rubber dome switches. 
- Gaming keyboards often come with extra features, such as audio and USB ports, that can be useful for gamers. Some even come with built-in displays that can provide valuable information during gameplay.
As you can see, there are many important differences between gaming keyboards and regular keyboards. If you are serious about gaming, then a gaming keyboard is definitely the way to go. Not only will it give you a better gaming experience, but it will also last longer and be more comfortable to use.
Pros and Cons of Having a Compact Keyboard
Size is important, but do you really need a compact one? Here are some advantages and disadvantages to keep in mind.
- They tend to be lighter than full-sized keyboards making them easier to transport if you need to take your keyboard with you. If you are traveling with your laptop or taking it to a LAN party, a compact keyboard can be easier to carry.
- They have a smaller footprint on your desk which can be important if you have a small desk or need to make room for other items.
- They have a minimalist design which some people prefer. Such keyboards often look more attractive than their full-sized counterparts.
- The smaller size can also be an advantage if you have small hands as it can be more comfortable to reach all the keys.
- The weight of a compact keyboard can also make it more stable when gaming on a laptop.
- The keys on a compact keyboard are generally closer together which can feel cramped for some people, especially if you have large hands. It can also be more difficult to find the right key without looking down at the keyboard.
- The smaller size means there is less space for your hands when gaming which can be uncomfortable.
- There are fewer keys that can limit what games you can play or make it difficult to perform certain actions.
- The keys can be more difficult to press which can impact your gaming performance.
- Compact keyboards can be more expensive than full-sized ones. The reason for this is that they often use higher quality materials and components.
Compact keyboards have both pros and cons that you should consider before purchasing one. They can be more expensive than full-sized keyboards but offer a smaller footprint and lighter weight which can be appealing to gamers who need to take their keyboard with them on the go.
Things to consider before buying a compact gaming keyboard
Choosing the best compact gaming keyboard for your needs can be a daunting task. There are so many factors to consider, from price to size to features. You want to make sure you get the best possible keyboard for your gaming needs, but with so many options out there, it can be tough to know where to start.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help. Here are the most important things to keep in mind when shopping for a compact gaming keyboard.
Mechanical vs. Membrane
The very first thing you need to decide when choosing a keyboard is whether you want a membrane or mechanical model.
- Mechanical keyboards are the gold standard for gaming. They’re more durable and offer better performance, but they’re also more expensive. In addition, mechanical keyboards can be quite loud, which may not be ideal if you’re trying to game in a shared space. Moreover, some people simply don’t like the feel of mechanical keys. Mechanical keyboards also come in a variety of switch types. For example, some switches are designed to be quieter, while others have a different feel. The main downside to mechanical keyboards is that they’re not as portable as membrane models. Also, if you’re looking for a keyboard with RGB lighting, you’ll generally have to pay more for a mechanical model.
- Membrane keyboards are the more affordable option and are typically quieter than mechanical models. They’re also more portable, making them a good choice if you plan on traveling with your keyboard. One more advantage of membrane keyboards is that they’re often easier to clean than mechanical models. All you need to do is wipe them down with a damp cloth. However, membrane keyboards don’t offer the same level of performance as mechanical models. They also don’t have as many features, such as dedicated media keys or USB pass-throughs. In addition, most membrane keyboards don’t have backlighting, which can be a dealbreaker for some gamers. This type of keyboard is also more susceptible to wear and tear, so it may not last as long as a mechanical model.
Consider all of these factors before making your decision. Ultimately, it boils down to personal preference. If you want the best performance possible, go with a mechanical keyboard. But if you’re looking for a more affordable option that’s still suitable for gaming, go with a membrane model.
The second thing to consider is portability. If you’re going to be traveling with your keyboard, you’ll want something that’s lightweight and easy to carry. Most gaming keyboards are fairly large, so a compact keyboard is a great option if you need something that’s portable. 
Portability depends on several factors:
- Weight is the first factor to consider. A heavier keyboard will be more difficult to carry, and a lighter keyboard will be easier to carry. The weight of a keyboard is determined by the material it’s made from. Aluminum keyboards are usually the heaviest, followed by plastic keyboards.
- Size is the next factor to consider. A larger keyboard will be more difficult to carry, and a smaller keyboard will be easier to carry. The size of a keyboard is determined by the number of keys and the size of the keys. A keyboard with more keys will be larger, and a keyboard with smaller keys will be smaller.
- The number of keys is the next factor to consider. A keyboard with fewer keys is easier to carry, but it might not have all the features you need. Most gaming keyboards have 104 keys, so a compact keyboard with fewer than 104 keys is a great option if you need something that’s portable.
- A detachable cable is the last factor to consider. A keyboard with a detachable cable is easier to carry, but it might be more expensive. This feature is only available on some keyboards, so if you need a keyboard that’s portable, you might have to pay more for it. Just make sure you get a keyboard with a detachable cable if you plan on traveling with it.
So if your gaming keyboard is not only for gaming at home then you have to look for a keyboard that is portable.
Compactness, weight, size of the keys, and detachable cables are important factors when choosing a keyboard for traveling.
The next important factor is durability. A keyboard will see a lot of use and abuse, especially if you are a heavy gamer. You want a keyboard that can withstand plenty of wear and tear. Some keyboards even come with replaceable keycaps, which is a nice feature to have.
- Compact gaming keyboards are also built to be durable. They often have a steel backplate that helps add stability and strength to the keyboard. 
- Durability also depends on the quality of the materials used. A keyboard made with high-quality materials is more likely to last longer than a keyboard made with cheaper materials. For example, plastic keyboards are not as durable as metal keyboards. The base of a keyboard can also affect its durability. A keyboard with a metal base is more likely to last longer than a keyboard with a plastic base.
- Frequency of use is another factor that can affect durability. If you are a heavy user, you will need to replace your keyboard more often than someone who is a light user. Heavy users should also look for keyboards with higher quality materials and construction.
- Build quality is another factor to consider when looking for a durable keyboard. A keyboard with a solid build is more likely to withstand heavy use than a keyboard with a flimsy build. You should also look for keyboards that have reinforced keycaps. This will help ensure that your keys do not break or become damaged over time.
- Durability will also depend on the type of switches you choose. Mechanical switches are more durable than membrane switches. However, mechanical switches can be more expensive. If you want a durable keyboard, you should consider getting a keyboard with mechanical switches.
So, these are the factors you should consider when looking for a durable keyboard. If you want your keyboard to last longer, you should look for a keyboard with high-quality materials and construction.
Wired vs. Wireless
Another big factor to consider when purchasing a gaming keyboard is whether you want it to be wired or wireless. It should be taken into account because it can affect the price, performance, and feel of the keyboard.
- Wired gaming keyboards are usually cheaper and have lower latency than their wireless counterparts. They also tend to be more durable since there are no batteries or moving parts that can break. Moreover, most wired keyboards come with a USB pass-through port which can be used to connect to other devices such as a mouse or headset. On the downside, wired keyboards can be less portable and more difficult to set up.
- Wireless gaming keyboards have come a long way in recent years and are now just as good as wired ones in terms of performance and latency. They are also much more convenient to use since there are no wires to get tangled up. In addition, most wireless keyboards come with a built-in rechargeable battery which makes them very portable. However, they are usually more expensive than wired keyboards and can be less durable.
Wires can be a pain, especially if you’re constantly moving your keyboard around or taking it with you to LAN parties. If you want the freedom of a wireless connection, make sure to get a keyboard with low latency and good battery life.
So, which is better? It really depends on your needs and preferences. If you want the best performance and don’t mind sacrificing some portability, then a wired keyboard is the way to go. If you want maximum convenience and don’t mind paying a bit more, then a wireless keyboard is the best choice.
One more important factor to consider is the type of feedback you want from your keyboard. Do you want a light, responsive feel? Or do you prefer a heavier, more solid feel? This is entirely a matter of personal preference, so you’ll have to try out different types to see what you like best.A keyboard with light, responsive keys will give you the feeling that your actions are being registered immediately. If you prefer a heavier, more solid feel, then a keyboard with thicker keys might be more to your liking. Ultimately, it’s all about finding the right balance for your own gaming style.
In addition, the type of keys can also affect the feel of the keyboard. Mechanical keys are usually more responsive than rubber dome keys, but they can also be louder. If you’re looking for a quiet gaming experience, then you might want to consider a keyboard with quieter keys.
If you’re not sure what type of feedback you want from your keyboard, then it’s best to try out a few different types before making a decision.
For example, some manufacturers offer keyboards with different types of keys, such as mechanical or rubber domes. Others offer different levels of feedback, such as light or heavy. And still, others offer a variety of colors and backlighting options. With so many choices available, you’re sure to find the perfect keyboard for your gaming needs.
Just remember to take your time and find the right keyboard for you. With so many options available, you’re sure to find the perfect one for your gaming style.
The next best thing about a compact gaming keyboard is that it offers great macro-functionality. This means that you can easily bind keys to different in-game actions, making your gameplay much smoother and easier. You can also customize the backlight of the keyboard, so you can easily find the right keys even in the darkest of rooms.
For example, you can bind the keys to different in-game actions like opening doors, picking up items, or using special abilities. This way, you don’t have to fumble around with the keyboard trying to find the right keys.However, some compact gaming keyboards come with built-in macro functionality, making them a great option for gamers who need them.
Such keyboards are also a great option for professional gamers who want to have an edge over their opponents. If you are looking for a gaming keyboard that offers great macro functionality, then a compact gaming keyboard is the best option for you. Moreover, these keyboards are also great for office use, as they can help you keep your desk clean and organized.
For example, if you want to use your compact gaming keyboard for work, then you can use it to type up documents, create presentations, or even play games. However, if you want to use it for gaming, then you can customize the keyboard to suit your gaming needs. This way, you can have an edge over your opponents and make your gameplay much smoother.
Illumination & Backlighting
Another feature that is important to many gamers is the backlighting or illumination of the keyboard. This can come in handy in dimly lit rooms, and can also be a great way to show off your gaming setup. Many gamers also enjoy the customization options that come with backlighting, as you can often change the color or pattern of the light. Some keyboards even allow you to program different lighting effects.
When it comes to compact gaming keyboards, there are a few different types of backlighting to consider.
- RGB backlighting is becoming increasingly popular, as it offers a wide range of colors and effects. Many gamers enjoy being able to customize the look of their keyboard, and RGB backlighting is a great way to do that.
- If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, there are also keyboards with white backlighting. White backlighting is often not as customizable as RGB, but it can still be a great way to add some light to your keyboard.
Finally, there are also keyboards with no backlighting. This is usually the most budget-friendly option, but it does mean that you won’t be able to see the keys in dim lighting.
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a backlit keyboard.
- First, consider how much customization you want. If you want to be able to change the color of your keyboard, RGB backlighting is a great option. If you’re looking for something more budget-friendly, white backlighting may be a better option.
- Second, consider how much light you need. If you often game in dimly lit rooms, a keyboard with backlighting may be a good option. However, if you don’t need much light, you may be better off with a keyboard without backlighting.
- Finally, keep in mind that backlighting can add to the price of a keyboard. If you’re on a budget, you may want to opt for a keyboard without backlighting.
Why do gamers use mini keyboards?
There are a few reasons. First, they’re more convenient to transport to LAN parties or other gaming events. Second, they take up less desk space, which is important for gamers who have multiple monitors or other peripherals on their desks. Finally, some gamers simply prefer the smaller form factor of a mini keyboard.
Why do some gamers have two keyboards?
Some gamers use a mini keyboard for gaming and a full-sized keyboard for typing. Others use two keyboards because they have different needs for each game they play. For example, some games require more macros (keyboard shortcuts) than others, so a gamer might have one keyboard with more macro keys for those games.
Do all compact keyboards have backlighting?
No, but many do. Backlighting is a feature that allows you to see the keys in low-light conditions. It’s not a necessary feature, but some gamers prefer it.
Is a compact keyboard better?
It depends on your needs. A compact keyboard might be more convenient to transport or take up less desk space, but a full-sized keyboard might have more features, such as additional macro keys. It’s ultimately up to the gamer to decide which type of keyboard is best for them.
Video Tutorial: Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma V2 Review
We’ve taken a look at some of the best compact gaming keyboards on the market, and there’s a lot to like about each one. Whether you’re looking for a keyboard with backlighting, extra buttons, or just a smaller footprint, there’s an option here that will suit your needs.
Now you know what to look for in a compact gaming keyboard, so go out and find the perfect one for your setup.
No matter which keyboard you choose, you’ll be getting a great tool for gaming. So, get out there and start fragging your opponents!
Do you have a favorite compact gaming keyboard? Let us know in the comments below.
As always, thanks for reading! Until next time, happy gaming!